Missing file on github for Linux Wowlet v0.2.0.0

Started by wowmazing, Apr 17, 2021, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsc

wowmazing

wowmazing

Do we have to rename the file from **org.wowlet.wowlet.desktop** to **wowlet.desktop** since the instructions ask us to **copy wowlet.desktop to `/usr/share/applications`**?

wowario

no, you do not need to rename... just copy "org.wowlet.wowlet.desktop" file to `/usr/share/applications`

doc

Hi, I followed all the steps as per the linux manual install instructions and even restarted the pc but can't find wowlet in the start menu. When I try to launch it from within the applications folder (usr/share/applications), I get an error message "there an error launching the application". I'm on Linux Mint. Your help is appreciated

Kontvolkoren

Try to run the program from your home directory, see if that works.

doc

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand how I can run it from my home directory

doc

Yes I did all that and changed permissions to allow copying of files into the file system usr/bin and usr/share and usr/applications. Can't get it to work

wowario

* "wowlet" binary goes here: `/usr/local/bin`
* "org.wowlet.wowlet.desktop" file goes here: `/usr/share/applications`
* "wowlet.png" goes here: `/usr/share/pixmaps`
* log out and log back in, wowlet should appear in the menu

doc

Here are the steps I followed:
1. downloaded wowlet-v0.2.0.0.zip to my download folder
2. Unzipped wowlet-v0.2.0.0.zip in my download folder and obtained "wowlet" folder. (is this what you call binary?).
3. I moved the "wowlet" folder to /usr/bin (in the 2nd attempt I moved to it to /usr/loca/bin)
4. I downloaded * "org.wowlet.wowlet.desktop" and put it in /usr/share/applications
5. I downloaded "wowlet.png" and put it in /usr/share/pixmaps
I logged out / back in > no wowlet in the menu. I retarted the pc > same. I tried launching org.wowlet.wowlet.desktop directly from within /usr/share/applications

Error launching the application.
Am I doing anything wrong?

dsc

Quote from: "doc, post:13, topic:334"Unzipped wowlet-v0.2.0.0.zip in my download folder and obtained "wowlet" folder. (is this what you call binary?).

It shouldn't unzip into a folder. This is probably due to the specifics of the program you're using for extraction. You should move the **executable** file to `/usr/bin`. There is a `wowlet` executable inside your extracted folder, move that so the path to the executable file becomes `/usr/bin/wowlet`.

Here is how to do it from the terminal:

```bash
$ sudo rm -rf /usr/bin/wowlet
$ sudo apt install -y unzip
$ mkdir /tmp/wowlet                              
$ pushd /tmp/wowlet
$ wget https://git.wownero.com/attachments/e3c2eae7-c6c0-4371-8d83-6a4e8851cdad
$ unzip e3c2eae7-c6c0-4371-8d83-6a4e8851cdad
$ sudo mv wowlet /usr/bin/
$ popd
$ wowlet --version
$ whereis wowlet
```

doc

I used the right click extract here from the context menu. The wowlet folder i get contains a bunch of folders and files.
I will try the terminal procedure.
Thank you