How to Enable the Gentoo Monero Overlay

Started by asymptotically, Jun 23, 2020, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asymptotically

The gentoo-monero overlay is a community-maintained Gentoo ebuild repository for Monero (and Wownero :dog2:) related software. It contains things like the Wownero daemon, Wownero wallet, and XMRig.

### Enabling the Overlay

1. Install eselect-repository, if you don't have it already:

emerge --noreplace eselect-repository

2.  Enable the gentoo-monero overlay:

eselect repository enable monero

3. Synchronise repository contents:

emaint sync -r monero

4. Unmask unstable ebuilds in the repository:

echo '*/*::monero ~amd64' >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords

### Install Software

emerge net-misc/xmrig-proxy
    emerge net-misc/xmrig
    emerge net-p2p/wownero

### Updating

Software provided by the overlay should update as normal. Use `emerge --sync` and `emerge --update --deep @world` to update Wownero tools with the rest of your system.

asymptotically

`net-misc/feather-wow` has been added to the overlay :slight_smile:

mint

Thanks there,
Pretty interesiting this forum here!

Now I read on github that the guy stopped developing his App. Do people still use it?

Speaking of linux. I have a question. On some pools they suggest commands like this (see below)
Some info is redundant, isn't it, since it is in the config file.
What command do you use in Linux?
Whats the " --tls-fingerprint and --pass" option for?

Best regards,

Bee

`xmrig -o pool.minexmr.com:4444 -u
47wcnDjCDdjATivqH9GjC92jH9Vng7LCBMMxFmTV1Ybf5227MXhyD2gXynLUa9zrh5aPMAnu5npeQ2tLy8Z4pH7461vk6uo`

or

`xmrig --url pool.hashvault.pro:80 --user YOUR_WALLET_ADDRESS --pass x --donate-level 1 --tls --tls-fingerprint 420c7850e09b7c0bdcf748a7da9eb3647daf8515718f36d9ccfdd6b9ff834b14`

asymptotically

Quote from: "mint, post:3, topic:19"Now I read on github that the guy stopped developing his App. Do people still use it?

That's me! :) - It's not an app but packages for Monero/Wownero software for the Gentoo Linux distribution.

Quote from: "mint, post:3, topic:19"Some info is redundant, isn't it, since it is in the config file.

You can choose between the config file or the command line options (or mix them together).

Quote from: "mint, post:3, topic:19"Whats the " --tls-fingerprint and --pass" option for?

`--tls-fingerprint` is for authenticating the pool server when you use TLS (like HTTPS). It's so that you can be sure you're really talking to the pool, and not some hacker impersonating the pool.

`--pass` is sent to the pool as your password. Confusingly, most pools use this as a worker name (so that you can identify your miner on the stats page).

Best to ask more questions on the mining thread: https://forum.wownero.com/t/mining/20/18

mint

Great!
Happy to meet you. I will try out this overlay  then.
You think on funtoo it works all the same like on gentoo (the original)?
Been using gentoo for 8 years.

good.

asymptotically

I think that someone has moved most of the packages to Gentoo's GURU, might be worth looking there too.

As for Funtoo, not sure. I would guess that it works just the same but I've never tried it.

asymptotically

Updated Wownero ebuild to 0.10.1.0 :slight_smile: :dog: