The WFS (Wownero Funding System) was released somewhere in June of 2018 - a few months after Wownero was born. I hacked it together in the system’s first proposal here. Various other projects forked the software: Firo, Aeon, Masari.
The proposal submission process is modelled after Monero’s CCS where:
- Community members submit ideas
- Community members discuss each other’s ideas
- Moderators (core team) accepts the idea and moves it into a ‘funding required’ state (or rejects the idea altogether)
I spent the past 2 months rewriting the funding system in “modern” Python (asyncio). This new system will get a ton of new features/possibilities (mostly back-end related) but it will also have new web4.5™ looks (for example a nice new markdown editor), etc:
- Built with Quart web framework
- Sexy CSS via CoreUI (Bootstrap)
This work has been commissioned by 2 other cryptocurrency projects but Wownero will benefit as well as this new system will be forked to support Wownero - and ultimately replacing the current funding system.
However, while working on all this, I asked myself if we could perhaps improve the
above mentioned 4-year-old proposal workflow, so I came up with 2 new ‘core’ ideas:
ideas/proposals shouldn’t be dependent on the acceptance of a moderation team. We
could instead allow anyone (with a WOW SSO account) to create proposal(s) at their own discretion.
- Free up work for our existing moderator team
- Users can raise funds without having to depend on the (perceived arbitrary) acceptance of a moderation team.
- Users don’t need to wait till their proposal is accepted
- Since anyone can raise funds, it would put that person in charge of marketing their own submitted proposal(s).
This would effectively turn the funding system into a crowdfunding website (similar to GoFundMe).
Our current WFS has commenting built-in. I personally have some issues with this:
- From a technical perspective, creating a comment section is hard™/annoying
- We already have a communication platform; this forum (Discourse)
- Discourse can do commenting/discussions better
So I will move proposal discussion to this forum.
The new funding system could auto-post topics when new a proposal is created.
- I’m working on a funding system for 2 other cryptocurrency projects
- it is pretty cool
- I will fork this system for Wownero
- I will change this system such that anyone can create a proposal
- I might even allow people to raise funds in another coin, for example Monero.
This new crowd funding system could release in May, maybe later. It depends on how busy I am.