Wowlet v3.0.0 Released - update peps! 😎

Started by wowario, Jul 05, 2021, 07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orklemerkle

That confirms the issue, then. Wowlet's Linux binary does not run on non-AVX machines. I'd open an issue on Gitea, but since registration is still broken...

I still haven't worked out why the Windows binary works for you, but not the Linux one. It might be down to different compiler options or version. There's probably a compiler flag to make it work, but as you said, compiling from source looks a bit involved.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help!

trichom

At least you tried. Maybe we will get fix eventually. :) Cheers!

wow4reedom

Hey @wowario, thanks for posting the latest feature summary and releases to the Wowlet wallet.

I'm really enjoying using the wallet. It's so easy to use and I love how the latest forum posts and memes are available right within the wallet. This makes this wallet fun and a pleasure to use. Please pass on the feedback to the other devs.

Speaking of Wowlet devs, I have an idea that I'd was hoping you might be able to run by the team (only if you think it's worthy). Please note: I'm not a coder and hence I'm not even sure is the blockchain can even support this idea.

***Here is my idea...***
One of the founding principles of Wownero is privacy.  Wouldn't it be nice if built-in to the base layer was an option to send an encrypted text message (or meta-data) with each transaction?

**Let me provide an real world example...**
Let's say I want to send a community member a donation in $WOW. Wouldn't it be nice if I could attach to the donation a short encrypted message that could only be read by the recipient in their Wowlet wallet. The message could have a character limit - like Twitter had when it launched with a 140 chr limit, thus deterring people from attaching the dictionary to a transaction (haha).  

This message would be encrypted on the blockchain and visible in the recipients Wowlet wallet once the transaction is in the process of being confirmed.

**How this could be funded**
This feature would be "opt-in" via a check box. Once the Wowlet user checks this box, a text box would appear allowing the user to enter text. As the user types in there message there would be a character countdown and also a small fee would be charged per character (the longer the message the higher the fee).

This fee would cover the cost of transmitting more data with a transaction and the fee would be split 2 ways:
a) 50% goes to the miner
b) 50% would be deposited in to the Wowlet Developer Fund (to re-coup the cost to developing this feature)

Thoughts anyone?

wowowl

hey mate

I think this feature might already exist in wowlet 3.
if you're in wowlet, navigate to 'Tools' then > 'Sign/Verify message'. There you can write a message and sign it by hashing it with your wallet ID. Then the reciever of the message can verify using the same tool.
or to send a message with a transaction you could use the 'description' field. not sure what the character limit is but it's enough for a short message and shouldn't burden the network thus shouldn't be too costly.
Though there is the possibility of evolving the signnature verification feature to allow wallet to wallet communication I can imagine a few ways this could compromise security. Eg/ sending phishing messages, using links to de-obfuscate users, running scams etc.
I think that for the time being, the most interesting comunication integration looks to be IRC - think devs are noobifying an IRC client to tie in with WOW.

h00t

wow4reedom

Quote from: "wowowl, post:19, topic:654"to send a message with a transaction you could use the 'description' field.

Hi @wowowl , Thanks for the reply.  
I did a test and sent some WOW from one Wowlet wallet to another and I added a some text as a  Description (less than 20 characters). The Description text appears in the "Sender's" transaction history, but there is no description text appearing in the "Recipient's" transaction history.  

Could you please do a test to confirm that this works for you in Wowlet 3.0.0?  Thanks.

wowowl

@wow4reedom
Yes I just tested it and it looks like the decription field is just client side.
i.e./ it's for labelling the transaction yourself "For Dope" but only in your own wallet.

It would be interesting to see a signed message in transaction function but I can see it compromising privacy without another level of encryption so it probably won't be available in this fork.

For now we can use the 'Sign/Verify' function to involve Wownero in our communique ;)

h00t