Hardware wallets

Started by asymptotically, Aug 03, 2020, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asymptotically

I noticed that the Wownero coinpaprika page says "hardware wallet: no" and this is very upsetting. Is anyone interested in getting hardware wallets like the Ledger Nano S and Trezor working with WOW?

asymptotically

After having a quick skim over the source for Ledger's Monero app I don't think that it would be too much trouble getting it to work with WOW, I think we would just need to change a couple of constants.

The hard part would probably be getting the app listed in Ledger Live :slight_smile:.

dsc

Even though I have a Ledger Nano S, I don't use it. It's just a bit cumbersome. I prefer an encrypted USB thumb drive, or similar.

asymptotically

If I somehow pwn your computer, I can steal all of your WOWs when you go to spend them if the wallet files are stored on a memory stick. I can't if all of the keys and signing happens elsewhere.

dsc

sir hacking is illegal and I will report you to the cyber police. In addition, I still prefer cold storage on a laptop that's not connected to the internet. Offline signing. It's the future.

asymptotically

airgapped laptop is probably the best way to go, but i like my shiny device

captainstumble

if wallets and all associated files and such are stored on a hard drive that you use as an extension of the computer is this true cold storage when you remove it?

asymptotically

No, the goal is that the private key material never touches a computer that never connects to a network to make hacking it remotely very difficult.

captainstumble

ahh ok, can the key material be relocated to a separate drive?

asymptotically

It can, but ideally you would generate the keys on the offline computer so that there's no chance for any malware to ever steal it.

The Bitcoin wallet Electrum makes this very easy, it's a bit more difficult with Wownero and Monero because you need to copy key images around. There is a guide around somewhere for doing cold storage for `monero-wallet-cli`/`wownero-wallet-cli` but I can't find it at the moment :frowning:.