WOWlet on a USB key

Started by wowla, Apr 30, 2021, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wowla

Hello,

I'm totally newbie with crypto and i think i didn't found the info on the forum. Is there a way to install the WOWlet on a USB key? I would prefer this option to store my coins instead of the desktop one but maybe i'm wrong.
Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Kontvolkoren

Yes, that's entirely possible. Just extract the folder/binary to your USB key and run it from there. Then go to File->Settings->Paths and set the correct paths there.

https://git.wownero.com/wowlet/wowlet/releases

Oh, and welcome to the forums! ;-)

wowla

Thank you for the welcome words and answer, it solves my problem :slightly_smiling_face:

I just started my WOW learning curve and help is highly appreciated thanks a lot!

wowla

I extracted and installed wow.exe on the USB key. I was able to set the Wallet directory on the USB key at the wallet creation phase.

Once i go to File->Settings->Paths, i can't change them. Both Application and Wallet directories are set on the USB key, but the Config directory is set on the computer and there is no option to change that.

Does Config directory is necessary to run WOWlet? What if i delete Config directory? I bump my newbie head on that, can you help me clarify?

dsc

- Store the wowlet executable on your USB drive
- When creating a new wallet, change the location so it saves the wallet to the USB drive

This will work, as far as portability goes. As for the config directory, it will be automatically created by wowlet when it is not present. This cannot be prevented. The directory itself can be safely deleted however.

When opening the wallet, browse to your USB drive.

wowla

I'm making progress in my understanding thanks to your explanations, you just defused a headache of mine!

I just sent the coins to my wallet, they are stuck in the unconfirmed status for now, waiting for them to be available :smile:

wowla

In case someone is following the same path, my coins are now confirmed and spendable, it took around 2 hours to complete the process, wowla!
Thanks everyone :v:

dsc

Usually it is faster than 2 hours - Wownero is experiencing spikes in the difficulty algo because of all the price action, which can make transactions take a little longer to properly confirm.

wowario

you can monitor the current difficulty and average block time of last 20 blocks here: https://freeboard.io/board/c8mM2c

wowla

Thanks for sharing i appreciate :slightly_smiling_face:

alienwow

Great tip, thanks for the info. I was wondering about that as well. :+1: