Mining ⛏️

Started by wowario, Jun 23, 2020, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicolasvanSaberhagen

Be aware that 1GB pages is only 1-2% increase in hashrate

mint

alright. Thanks Nicolas - it's overated, so to say *haha*

doc

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

akaolly

Hi noob here i like your coin and have been mining with srbminer but want to use xmrig ive sorted the config and got it running but its saying to activate msr mod and ive gone round in circles for 2 days trying some things people said online but cant get it activated? any help appreciated and thanks in advance,

asymptotically

Which operating system are you using? On Debian based systems (like Ubuntu) you can just install msr-tools with `sudo apt install msr-tools`, load the kernel module with `modprobe msr`, and then if you run XMRig as root with sudo, it can apply the MSR tweaks itself.

NicolasvanSaberhagen

FWIW I installed Ubuntu 20 LTS and just compiled and ran XMRig without installing any msr mod stuff and it works fine. So I don't think most people have to do that.

asymptotically

Yes, it will work fine without the MSR tweaks and huge pages. But you're leaving performance (free money) on the table

NicolasvanSaberhagen

I quit my Ubuntu 20 LTS miner, installed the msr tweak like you described, and reran the miner, and the hashrate went up by 0.044%. Sort of interesting.

asymptotically

It could be that XMRig was already applying the tweaks (it tries to do so if you run it as root), or that it doesn't bother applying any tweaks to your CPU. .04% is too small.