Hardware set up for mining

Started by GX35, Dec 27, 2020, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GX35

New to cryptocurrency and would like to start mining WOW. What should I be looking for in my hardware set up when I build my PC. Will I need to run Microsoft for my operating system or is there a better alternative?

lza_menace

Most of us run Linux, but Windows works fine for mining. Currently, the AMD Ryzen CPU is the best hardware on the market for mining WOW.

asymptotically

> What should I be looking for in my hardware set up when I build my PC.

https://forum.wownero.com/t/mining/20/17?u=asymptotically

> Will I need to run Microsoft for my operating system or is there a better alternative?

You can use Windows if that's what you're comfortable with, but Linux is free (as in freedom :slight_smile:) and has some tricks to get slightly higher performance.

mint

Thanks there Iza,

Of course - heard that Ryzen core or even AMD Threadripper are the best to mine.
But.. They are also the most expensive. I opted for a XEON CPU since it is a workstation CPU.
Good Idea?
Any experience?

Thanks for this forum. Lets keep it alive a bit!

Greetz,
B

PS:
Of course using linux :smiley:

asymptotically

Quote from: "mint, post:4, topic:154"I opted for a XEON CPU since it is a workstation CPU.
Good Idea?

It depends on which one c: - it can't be super old because it needs to support hardware AES, and it should have 2M of L3 cache per mining thread.